Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Caramel Pumpkins

I simply LOVE Halloween!  There are so many cute and fun ideas out there of treats and decorations.  Last week I must have spent an hour just "pinning" all the fun things I was finding on the internet.

Tonight I made caramel popcorn pumpkins.  I got the idea from somewhat simple, which by the way is a blog that I follow.  She always has lots of fun and easy ideas throughout the year.


I did change the pumpkins a bit.  She makes her pumpkin balls using orange jello.  I'm not a big fan of jello popcorn balls so I just whipped up a batch of my favorite caramel recipe and added orange food coloring.  Woolah!  You have orange caramel!  And I must say it is yummy orange caramel! ;)

My dad came by tonight and share dinner with me.  When he spotted the caramel popcorn he couldn't stop picking at it.  I finally told him to stop snitching because he needed to eat his dinner first!  Ha, ha.  Don't you love how the tables turn?!  My mom and dad have always loved caramel popcorn.  In fact, making it tonight totally made me think of them because that was a Halloween tradition in my home...caramel popcorn balls.  We always gave them out to the trick-or-treaters.  Ya, that was back in the good old days when you didn't have to worry about razor blades and drugs!!

Here's my caramel recipe.  Yummy, sweet, and loaded with sugar!

1 c. butter
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk

In the microwave, melt butter in a large glass bowl.  Add remaining ingredients and stir well.  Microwave for 4 minutes.  Stir completely.  Microwave for 3 1/2 more minutes.  Be sure to watch to make sure the caramel does not boil over!  Stir completely.  Let sit and cool for a minute.  Pour over popped corn (approximately 15-18 cups of popped corn) and mix well to evenly coat popcorn.  Shape into balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment