Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Counting Blessings: A Frozen Overnighter

Today's Blessing:  A Lesson Learned

Jeremy's got his two girls here until July 10.  He always gets them each summer around the 4th of July.  Independence Day is one of his favorite holidays so that's the time he picked to have them come each summer.

I was hoping to get a little Grandma time with them while they were here, so Tiffany and Jeremy allowed me to invite them over for a little "Frozen" Overnighter with Grandma Dean.  Eliza and Allie both LOVE the movie Frozen so they were pretty excited to come to...I think.

One of my favorite memories with my own kids while they were growing up was each summer we'd have a backyard sleep-out in our tent.  Scott would load our small TV out into the tent and we'd enjoy a movie while sleeping outside.  So I excited to create that memory for Eliza and Allie.  They both loved the tent and having grandma sleep between them and of course they loved watching the movie Frozen.
All set for the Movie :)
Our little HD TV was so nice and easy to set up!!
Way easier than those summer days with my own kids!!
We did have one little problem though...Allie was having a really hard time sitting still to watch the movie so at one point she either bumped the cable connection or hit the remote but the TV went blank and displayed one message "No Signal".  Try as I might, I could not figure out what was wrong and Scott was in the house sound asleep so I didn't want to bother him.  Needless to say, Allie threw a tantrum when I said we were just going to go to sleep.  She cried and screamed and screamed and cried so I picked her up, took her in the house, laid her in Cody's bed and told her when she was done crying she could come back out.  Well...she continued to cry and soon Scott was upstairs wondering what was going on.  I explained the whole situation and he offered to come fix the TV but I told him no - she needs to learn she can't throw a fit and get her way.  I went back out to the tent and within minutes she stopped crying.  I figured Scott was consoling her.  After about 10 minutes I went back in the house to check on her - she was sound asleep.  In the morning I asked Scott what he did.  He said he just closed the bedroom door - guess she figured no one was going to listen to her cry so she'd just go to sleep.

So that was our backyard sleep-out.  Eliza did great but I think Allie was just a little too young.  It was a lesson learned.  I'll have to remember that with my other grand-kids when I invite them to come stay.

1 comment:

  1. Ya, and it's a 3 year old thing. I don't let Jonas stay up later, unless he's had a solid nap in him. But that's still fun. :)

    ReplyDelete