I like to plan my dinner time menus for the whole month, but sometimes the task seems endless as I can't seem to think up enough ideas of what to make. Her idea of theme nights made menu planning fun! I deviate a little from her nightly themes but that's the joy of diversity. And I love to play with words such as "Mexican Monday" and "Souper Saturday" (I'm sure you can guess what types of food we eat those days!) I'm still trying to figure out a word play for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. (Any ideas?!)
So Tuesday became "Try-it Tuesday", and I've vowed to try a new recipe every Tuesday. I'm so lucky Scott is willing to try most of my new attempts...I just have to be sure they don't include green peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, or olives!!
Tonight I tried "Chicken Barley Chili" Scott's verdict...it's a keeper! And for all you soup fans...here's the recipe :)
Chicken Barley Chili
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can tomatoes, diced, undrained
1 (16 oz) jar/can salsa
1 (14 1/2 oz) can fat free chicken broth
1 c. barley
3 c. water
1 T chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained, rinsed
1 (15 1/4 oz) can corn, whole kernel, undrained
3 c. chicken, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
cheddar cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
In 6-quart saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients. Over high heat bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for another 5 minutes. If upon standing the chili becomes too thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency. If desired, top with shredded cheese and sour cream. Make 11 (1 c.) servings.
No comments:
Post a Comment