Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day 62 (Empty Nestering) - Grandma's Glasses & Witches Goo!

There's nothing better than being a Grandma!  This morning I got to spend a little time with Jonas as his mom and dad went to the temple for a sealing ceremony.  He helped me package up hamburger, we read books, watched "spiderman", did a little boxing with his dad's gigantic boxing gloves and of course played ball (his favorite activity!).  For some reason today, he was fascinated with my glasses!!  I think he liked seeing the world through distorted vision!!  It reminded me of the poem "Grandma's Glasses" I had heard while serving in primary. 

These are Grandma's glasses!!

These are Grandma's glasses.    Make "glasses" over eyes with fingers.
This is Grandma's hat.   Place hands close together over head.
And this is the way she folds her hands   Clasp hands together.
And lays them in her lap.   Place hands in lap.

Tonight for dinner you would have thought I was celebrating Halloween early!!  We harvested purple potatoes this year in our garden with lots of little ones.  I thought I'd be resourceful and use some of those purple potatoes for a potato cheese soup.  Well...my potato cheese soup looked like Witches Goo!!  A nice grayish color!  The look was not too appetizing but it still tasted good!  And Scott was a totally awesome sport and didn't complain one bit!!

This soup recipe I actually got from my daughter Stephanie.  It is quick and easy and tasty!!

Potato Soup Recipe

Cut 12 potatoes in bit size pieces.
Boil potatoes in water or broth.  Barely cover the potatoes with liquid.
When potatoes can break, or mush when touched with a fork, add 2 T. of onions (these are dried onions, but we used fresh and it was just as tasty.)
Add 1 c. of milk
Add a 1 lb block of velveeta cheese (cut into smaller chunks when adding to help it melt faster.)

Optional:  broccoli and bacon (already cooked, and chopped into little pieces.).

If you want a Halloween look, just get yourself some purple potatoes or add a little food coloring...you'll have a perfect "Witches Goo"!!


No comments:

Post a Comment