Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 67 PM (Empty Nestering) - Down But Not Out!!

There is definitely something wrong with this picture!  Normally it is Scott in the bed, and me being the awesome supporter.  Now the tables have been turned, and I don't much care for it.  But I now have cute footsie socks with tire tread.  (They were quite expensive, I don't recommend anyone buying them.)  So today was my eye surgery for the macular hole in my left eye.  The St. Mark's Surgical Center has an awesome staff!  They were so friendly and willing to answer all my questions.

Before the surgery I had my first visitor, my son Jason.  He's already looking out for my well-being, and is letting me borrow his kindle fire for seven days so I can learn photo shop!  We both figured it would be a good face-down activity.  Jason's always good to give me a laugh, and it was so nice of him to visit despite his hectic schedule.

Doctor Howard performed the surgery.  They wheeled me into the operating room at 1:40 p.m., and then the fun began!  The anesthesiologist fed into my veins "a little something to make me drowsy."  The next thing I knew I woke up with my face totally covered, an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose, and the doctor and nurses cheerfully chatting about their cars.  Apparently I must have started to move because the doctor asked me to please hold still, because he was at a very delicate part of the surgery. (Good thing he let me know!)  It only seemed like a matter of a few more minutes and they were done.  The nurse carefully positioned me on my side with my nose to the pillow and instructed me that this was how I could sleep.  Then they wheeled me back to a recovery room, where Scott was patiently waiting.

I must admit, I broke the seat belt law.  I rode home lying on my tummy in the back seat, carefully keeping my nose pointed to the floor.  I gotta say, I have the best in-home nurse EVER!  Scott is taking awesome care of me, and I am so thankful for him. Thank goodness he will be with me for the next seven days (and eternity!)

No comments:

Post a Comment