Monday, March 25, 2013

Day 216 (Empty Again) - A Soccer Mom Again!

About 20 years ago I was introduced to the wide world of soccer!  Jason was only five years old, I think, when our neighbors across the street invited us to enroll him in AYSO.  It was the start of my "soccer mom" days.

Since that spring so many years ago, I have been to many many games!  Those first few years were challenging as I loaded around four little kids from park to park and game to game.  Sometimes Saturdays seemed endless!  And it was pretty much me by myself since Scott only had a Saturday off every six weeks.

Things definitely got easier when Cody started playing soccer.  Tiffany and Stephanie were older and not at all interested in playing soccer anymore.  So Scott and I pretty much spent our time watching Jason and Cody play.  Jessica never really had a love for soccer, so many times she would just stay home with her older sisters.  I still remember Cody's first game...here was this tiny four (maybe he was five) year old kid ALWAYS where the ball was!  I think Scott and I stood there with dropped jaws unaware he had such talent!

Our lives really became soccer consumed when Jason had the opportunity to play competitive Soccer and Cody too!  Scott and I loved going to the games and watching them play.  When Cody left for his mission over two years ago, our soccer spectatoring (ya, it's not a word!) certainly decreased!  Our first summer without any soccer games seemed soooo weird!  I felt a little blue sometimes when I drove past the soccer fields and saw all the moms and dads watching their kids play!

Well, tonight I got to be a soccer mom once again!  Cody is back to his love of life and playing indoor and outdoor soccer (intramurals) at Utah State University.  I'm pretty sure he's loving it!  He told us he had a game tonight so we jumped on the opportunity of a different FHE and went and watched him play!  He even scored a goal!!  It was great!  It brought back so many good memories. :)  And I was very careful to not yell because I didn't want to embarrass him in front of his college buds!  (Ya, we were the only parents there!!)
This shot made it in!!  GOAL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment