Thursday, March 27, 2014

Counting Blessings: Dinner Prep for 100

Today's Blessing:  Lot's of Awesome Support

Once again, I got the opportunity to chair our ward's turn providing a meal at our community Soup Kitchen.  Actually, our bishopric member, Dave Madsen, asked Scott and I to chair the project so Scott was way more involved than the last two times I've done it...that was really nice!  He totally took on the job.  He was the liaison person between the Soup Kitchen Coordinator and our ward, he planned the menu, and he made sure the sign-up sheets were distributed among the ward organizations.  I think I was his support this year!  Scott was able to get a couple hours annual leave off work, and I left my work a half-hour early.

Since Scott planned the menu, it's no surprise what we served...meatloaf.  Scott loves meatloaf.  So our meal consisted of meatloaf, baked potatoes, green beans, green salad, rolls, and dessert.  I may be a little prejudice, but it's one of the yummiest meals I've seen served there (although I can't say I've seen a whole lot of meals there!)
Had to get a picture of us in our fashionable hair net attire! ;)
I totally don't mind being in charge of the Soup Kitchen when it is our ward's turn, because we get such awesome support from our ward!  We had five other people helping with the food preparation from 1:30 pm to 4 pm.  So that was seven total counting Scott and I...that's a pretty good number!  Too many cooks in the kitchen is just a mess!  The Young Men and Young Women showed up at 4:45 pm with 28 wonderful helping hands...that's 14 youth ;)...which allowed Scott and I the luxury of just monitoring the crowd and a little sit down and eat time.  We even got to visit with some old and new friends.  Then at 6:45 pm, 9 adults arrived to help clean up.  With that many people, we had the place all wiped down and spit spot in 30 minutes!  Scott and I (the last to leave) walked out the doors at 7:30 pm.  Excellent! :)
This little gal (one of Jessica's high school friends) is not from our ward,
but she is doing a "service" mission of her own.  She is helping every Thursday at the Soup Kitchen.
That's one big meatloaf!!  We prepared four pans just like this!
The Chef slicing his masterpiece! :)
These young men were so cute to watch!
They were so polite and helpful to the people! :)
What a great night!  What wonderful support!  Sure we were tired, but we were filled with the joy of service and gratitude for wonderful ward members. :)

    

No comments:

Post a Comment