Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 28 (Empty Nestering) - A "Youthful" Fireside

If you ever get the opportunity to hear Chad Hawkins speak, DO IT!!  He was wonderful!!

Scott and I attended a youth fireside tonight with Chad Hawkins as the guest speaker.  Now you may be asking yourself why Scott and I were attending a YOUTH fireside since the term "empty nesters" usually refers to "OLD" people...well...since my calling last October to serve in the Stake Young Womens Presidency, I'm suddenly qualified as being youthful again!!  Hallelujah!!  Although any age would have been welcome to attend the fireside tonight.


Chad is an artist who has sketched all of the LDS temples.  His drawings are beautiful.  But what makes them even more beautiful is that he hides images into the sketches that are symbolic or relating to that temple.  Almost all of the images you can't even see until someone points them out to you.  He has published a book about the first 100 temples.  To put together that book, he researched, interviewed church leaders, builders, and more, and studied about each temple - I'm sure he knows some awesome stories that some of us will never know!!

He was scheduled over a year ago to come do the fireside for our stake.  It had to have been total inspiration that he was scheduled for the Sunday right before our Temple Dedication.

His talk gave me such a greater desire to go to the temple.  He told one story of talking with a stake president while a temple was being built in his area.  The stake president told how the people were sooo excited to be getting a temple!  A year or so following that temple dedication, Brother Hawkins ran into that same stake president and asked him how the members were doing with the new temple and all.  The stake president simply replied, "Brother Hawkins, I think my people were more excited about getting a temple, than having a temple."  Nothing more was said.

Oh my!!  I hope I never experience that, especially within myself!!  I hope I can always be as excited as I am now to HAVE  a temple here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment