Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 328 (Not So Empty Again) - Red Cliffs & Millie

Wow!  St. George has some of the most beautiful red rocks and mountains.  Sure, Scott and I are in St. George mainly to see the Tuacahn plays, but now all of the plays are at 8:45 p.m., so during the day we have plenty of time to hike, sight see, etc.

During our first stages of planning, we thought we’d head to Zion’s National Park and do some hiking there during the day.  But I thought, ‘we should go someplace we haven’t seen yet', so thanks to Google, I found “Hiking near St. George, Utah” and found some awesome options.  The Red Cliffs Conservation Area was mentioned more than once in the places to see.

Muddy Swimming Hole
Among the Rocks
So today Scott and I went hiking…oh, we didn’t just do normal hiking, we hiked in heat!!  Because that’s what St. George is right now!!  An oven!...well, almost.  We got to scramble over rocks, found a nice muddy swim hole (no, we didn’t swim…but we ate our lunch close by), explored a “cave”, and got to see some cool “pueblo farmer” ruins.  Yes, Stephanie, I had “swak” along with “swegs”, “swums”, “swits” and “swutt” (which were all gross and I won’t explain!).  By the end of three hours, Scott and I both had tired feet and legs, but it was all worth it, at least for me…Scott might say otherwise! 



Pueblo Ruins

A Pueblo "cist"...or perhaps an oval storage room?

Eww Gross...major "swak"...aka - sweaty back!!
Thank goodness for air conditioning!!  Back at our hotel we both took a much needed nap, then ate dinner (Homemade Café Rio Salad…leftovers from home), and then headed to Tuacahn.

The Ambiance of Tuacahn!
I love how they put the play names on the stairs!
Thoroughly Modern Millie was excellent!  But I think I actually liked Mulan better, I don’t know, they were both good.  Thoroughly Modern Millie was certainly much longer than Mulan – it started at almost 9 and got over around 11:40.  One thing about those long plays…I was wishing I had a chair pad…my poor butt!  And I just have to mention, Scott took a picture of the “line control” barriers for the ladies restroom during intermission.  Gotta love it!  The men’s bathroom didn't have any!  Places like that should just always provide double the amount of bathrooms for women! ;)




1 comment: