Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 268 (Empty Again) - A Rainy Webelos Woods

For some reason, it always rains the weekend of Webelos Woods.  

What's Webelos Woods you ask?  It's a Parent/Son Overnighter sponsored by our district.  Tons of Webelos activities are planned to help the boys pass off lots of requirements in just one evening and one morning.  They always hold it the third weekend in May and it is usually always moved to a church house because of rain...at least 90% of the time.

I guess the director this year was being hopeful.  Despite gray clouds in the horizon, she set up the activities at the park.  She must have told herself she was not going to move it to the church...again!  Well, fate was not her friend tonight because right when it was time to start, "the rain came tumbling down."  First it came in drizzles, then buckets, then drizzles again, and then buckets!  It simply could not make up its mind!!  All the boys and their parents were quickly moved under the bowery and plans were quickly changed.  

For several years I have been in charge of the games section where I'm asked to include some of the "Athlete" badge requirements such as sit-ups, push-ups, and a standing long jump.  The director turned to me and said, "Can you do your games over there?"  She pointed to a corner of the bowery where 30 boys and their dads were crammed in around 2 picnic tables.  I rolled my eyes.  Ya, right.  "No" I said.  I looked outside the bowery...the rain was coming down, but not too heavy.  I turned to the boys and said, "Do you want to get wet?"  The boys were all for it!  I spent the rest of the evening "playing in the rain".  Amazingly the boys and their parents were the best sports ever!  They were willing to run, sit and lay down on the wet grass and just have fun!  And me?  I was good with it too except for the water I had dripping from my bangs!!  One person brought me an umbrella, and one of the dads went to his home and brought me back a rain jacket.  That's one thing I've always found in scouting...everyone is always willing to help someone else.

Here's a few pics from the rainy event.  I sure hope none of the boys caught colds afterwards!!  

Three-legged Race.  I loved the dads who were willing to participate!!
Who wouldn't?  It's so much funner to play than watch!

Are those legal push-ups?!


Wheelbarrow Relay
For some reason this was really hard for the boys to do!
I'm pretty much dry now, but can you tell I got wet?
I felt like a drowned rat by the end of the night!
So I had to throw this picture in too because the whole Webelos Woods thing always brings back good memories for me.  The year Cody was a Webelos scout I got to campout with him because Scott had to work.  And it didn't rain that year!  Aw...it was so fun!  Since Scott couldn't attend, Cody and I had planned to come home at the end of the evening and then return the next morning, but when we got there they said I could campout with him...it didn't have to be his dad!  So we ran home, quickly grabbed some gear and returned.  I had Cody cook our breakfast the next morning on a tin can stove...it was the easiest thing we had to grab on such short notice but it totally turned out great!  And all the scouts camping around us thought the tin can stove was so cool!!
Cody...tin can cook chef!!

1 comment: