Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 269 (Empty Again) - Teach Me!

I guess I was hungering for new ideas today.  I had kind-of an open Saturday and I remembered Honeyville Grain was offering a day of free "food storage" cooking classes (this past week has been their anniversary week), so after an early morning Heritage Theatre Board Meeting, I headed up town to be educated.

At 10 a.m., the Utah State Extension gave a class on canning beans.  I've been wanting to try that for some time so I was glad to get a bit of instruction.  She also demonstrated bottling chicken and it was reassuring to know I do it all correctly! :)  I even got the pressure gauge checked on my pressure cooker.

Then at 2:00 in the afternoon, Honeyville Grain had their demonstrator share a fun food storage concept..."Meals in a Jar."  What a cool idea!!  I totally want to give it a try! :)  And she really sweetened us all up by making the easiest dessert/cake I've ever tasted...I guess you'd call it Pineapple Angel Food Cake.  All you need is a box of Betty Crocker Angel Food Cake Mix and a can of crushed pineapple (20 oz.)  Dump the cake mix and pineapple together, stir it up (it gets all foamy), pour it in a 9x13" cake pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Serve with whipped cream.  It was delicious but you have to like pineapple!!



All in all, I had a pretty tasty and educational day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment