The Stake Young Women and Stake Young Men hosted a "No Pigs in the Pen" activity tonight for all the youth of our stake, 14 and older. It was an etiquette night.
President Shepherd (our Stake President) asked us to consider doing such an activity since he was concerned the youth are not learning how to properly "talk" and "socialize" since much of their time is being consumed with texting, Facebook and other social medias instead of face to face contact.
As a Young Women Presidency, Lori, Jerelyn, Leigh Ann, and I planned three activities all relating to a social interaction theme. We did phone etiquette...you know, how to call and ask for a date, how to talk on the phone such as identifying yourself, etc. Next was table manners and proper respect to the ladies, and third was just communicating...that good old fashion concept of talking face to face with a person of the opposite sex!
The youth seemed to love it! I got to be over the communication activity so I did a short role play with Brother Scott, one of the YM Presidency members, which was actually a true dating experience I had with a nice young man who maybe said five complete sentences during our whole date! Well, maybe he said 10! But it wasn't much and the date was dreadfully long!! Good thing most of it was a movie! So I stressed the importance of talking, really listening, and finding out something you might have in common. Then they got to "speed friendship". They had 30 seconds to discover something in common with the person across from them. At the end of 30 seconds, either the boys or the girls, moved down one seat. The youth were awesome! No one whined or complained and they all talked, smiled, and laughed and even kept eye contact! Only once did we find a young women "distracted" by her phone...we gently pried it out of her hands and told her we'd return it at the end of the night. I think it is so rude to be talking with someone and they get a text and they pull out their phone right in the middle of your conversation! To me that's an unspoken "I'm not listening to you, I don't care what you're saying, and what you're saying is not important." That's my biggest pet peeve about cell phones!
![]() |
| Speed Friendshipping...ready, set, TALK!! |
+(600x800).jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment