Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 144 (Empty Nestering Again) - It's a Soup Day!!

Wombat Stew!!

This morning I had some puppetry/storytelling fun as I got to share some "Souper" Stories for a Cold Winter day at the Brigham City Fine Arts Center.

Miss Betty Bumble (aka, Susan Neidert, owner & director of the Brigham City Fine Arts Center) took off this week for a warm and sunny vacation to Hawaii and asked me if I could fill in for her at the Puppetry Storytime session she holds each month.  I was happy to accept as I still have that little child inside of me that loves puppets and storytelling!!  Last winter I did a Snowman theme (ya, she took off for Hawaii last year too!!  I'm so jealous!!) so I couldn't repeat that, so as I thought and thought about what I could do that would fit with cold and winter, soup just popped into my head!!  I think there is nothing better than a nice hot bowl of soup on a cold winter day!!  

The Puppetry Storytime is scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m. but when the clock struck 9:30 this morning, all I had was one little girl!  I was worried about the whole attendance issue today because it had been snowing buckets since early this morning!!  But, everything worked out...within the next 5-10 minutes, nine more children showed up.  I'm so glad they all braved the storm!! So today I told two puppet stories, "Wombat Stew" and "Wolf's Chicken Stew" and read one book story, "Chicken Soup".   We sang a vegetable soup song (to the tune of "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain), and did two fingerplays...all about soup, of course!!  Then we made spoon puppets!!  A spoon is definitely good for more than just eating soup!!
Fun Spoon Puppets!  Just a few of my ideas :)

There's always a Princess!! :)
And a bunny! :)
Cute little Miss Piggie
After storytime, my next job was to find my car!!...It looked like one big snowball!!
While driving home, I decided on dinner...we're having soup tonight!!  Ah...now that sounds mmm, mmm, good!!
Mmm...Taco Soup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment