It was "Magical, Mystical, Fantasy Day" at the Brigham City Library!! The last day of our National Library Week celebration!
We offered six storytelling sessions throughout the day today...I got to do two of them. I told my two favorite stories - Heckedy Peg and the Paper Bag Princess. I LOVE those stories!! They are wonderful stories with excellent messages at the end! A must read for every parent and child!
+(800x533).jpg)
My listeners today were mesmerized with the pictures and the story of Heckedy Peg...of course I have the story memorized and I don't hardly have to look at the words when I read so I can really put voice and feeling into the whole story! And the illustrations are gorgeous!! Heckedy Peg teaches a great message of obedience, stranger danger, temptation, and motherly love. If your children were turned into food by a nasty witch and you had one chance to guess what food they were, would you be able to do it? Things may have changed by now, but we use to tease my daughter Stephanie that she would have become mashed potatoes and gravy, Tiffany would have been tuna fish, and Jessica chocolate malt-o-meal...she ate it every morning for breakfast for over a year!! Jason these days would probably be a Leatherby's peanut butter sundae; Cody...hmm...he use to devour milk and cereal by the gallons so perhaps he'd become a gallon of milk! And my husband Scott...he would definitely become peanut butter!! That's a sure bet.
The Paper Bag Princess is a completely different story with fewer words and cartoon illustrations but the message of "beauty is more than skin deep" is perfect!! And you certainly don't want to settle for some one who loves you for how you look instead of who you are inside!! Aww! I love these stories!!
I love both of those books. I lost my paper bag princess book though when I was teaching. Sad day :(
ReplyDelete