Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day 346 (Not So Empty Again) - Joseph's Miracle Run

Oh my!  What a run!!

Scott and I got to participate in the Joseph Smith Miracle Run 5K this morning that was held at "This is the Place Heritage Park".  I had received a flier months ago at the library telling about the run and every time I saw the flier it just made me hungrier to run the race.  One day it dawned on me that the race was on Scott's long weekend!  I asked him to run the race with me and he said yes!  I was major excited!

Little did we know the race course was going to be a "little hilly" (as the MC said this morning!)  Little is saying it lightly!  I called the race a "Cardiac Run"!  Right from the start we ran up 500 ft in elevation.  Then we ran down which was a wonderful recovery time, but then they looped us around and we were running up 500 ft in elevation again!  Oh my!  It was a killer!  But we did it!  We finished the race and they didn't have to drive us off in an ambulance either!

Every participant of the race received a t-shirt and an awesome medal!  You know what was really cool?!  Before the race started, they had an opening prayer, and then Elder M. Russell Ballard began the race with just these three simple words into the microphone..."Ready, Steady, Go"  (The words the prophet Joseph Smith would say when he started footraces with the kids.)  And all along the race route were these awesome quotes...tied in with "running"...I had to get pictures of all of them!  I saw other people taking pictures of them too!  We also got free entrance into the park.  I love that place!  Years ago I took my Girl Scouts to "This is the Place" for a summer activity - that's when I fell in love with it!  Some day I want to work there as a volunteer!  That would be sooo awesome!

So after the race, Scott and I walked around the park, ate some snacks we had brought, walked around some more, took a power nap, ate some ice cream, and I insisted on petting the animals before leaving...Scott just stood in the shade while I did that!  We were both pretty exhausted!  After all, we had got up at 3:30 a.m. this morning to get to the race on time so we had a good excuse!  By the afternoon, we had to get out of there!  We had forgot to bring our sunscreen so we were both feeling pretty sunburned.  Scott's arms hurt just being in the sun!  Despite the exhaustion though, I had a great time!  
I love running with Scott!!  This is us before we took the cardiac plunge!
What a cool medal!

Awesome quotes all along the way!

Finishers!  And Still Alive!!

This is the Place Monument...can you see that tiny speak?
That's Scott!

Cooling off with a little ice cream! :)

Such a nice goat!  I was wishing Jonas was with me!

And our day wasn't through yet...back in Ogden we split up and Scott went to an Union Picnic and I drove to North Ogden to see my two nephews, Logan and Hunter Maw, get baptized.  You'll have to read my "Day 346b" post for that one because the baptism was soo sweet!

Whew!  What a great day!! :)

1 comment: