Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Counting Blessings: Arrow of Light

Today's Blessing:  An Opportunity to Praise...An Opportunity to Teach

Every now and then I get the opportunity to do an Arrow of Light ceremony.  A dear "comrade in scouting" has allowed me to borrow her Native American attire while she and her husband serve a LDS mission in Chec Republic...it totally makes my presentations more memorable.  I have several awesome legends and Native American stories to choose from and I usually try to give the boys a small token from my story to help them remember the story and it's message.

Tonight I shared the story "The Top of the Mountain", it is one of my favorites and can pretty much be found anywhere online.  It's a great story that can relate to the journey through Cub Scouting until they finally reach the very top - the Arrow of Light.  But it doesn't end there because there are other mountains to climb and I always challenge them to fly with the Eagles!  (I'm very proud of my own sons who earned their Arrow of Light and Eagle!)  Then I wrapped up my ceremony with a short "ripple effect" story and told them how their choices don't just affect them but many other people all around them.  I gave them a second challenge...one they can do everyday...make good ripples!  I gave them a polished rock which I told them to carry in their pocket everyday as a reminder to made good ripples.  The ripple effect is such a true concept!  We should ALL strive to create good ripples!!

I always hope they will remember a small bit of what I say and grow up to be valiant, successful and strong!

2 comments:

  1. Good job mom. I wouldn't ever want to do that - an arrow of light ceremony. But it's a good thing you enjoy it because you always do great at getting into character and telling stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce is such a fantastic story teller!

    ReplyDelete