Monday, September 2, 2013

Counting Blessings: A Far away Birthday

Today's Blessing #2:  A World-Wide Family

Last Friday I found myself thinking about Jessica.  Holy Cow, I thought!  She's turning 20!  How did the time go by so fast?!  Oh how I wished I could do something special for her on her birthday.  But she's all the way in Tacoma Washington with very strict visiting restrictions!

Well, I happened to mention my thoughts to my neighbor who also has a kid on a mission...a son serving in San Antonio Texas AND he also has a birthday this month!  She randomly asked me, "Do you have a source or contact in Jessica's area who could deliver balloons, or a cake, or dinner, or something for her b-day?"  A light bulb turned on!  I do!  There is a lady there who has texted me in the past with pictures and happy thoughts about Jessica...would she be willing?  I quickly found her last text and sent her a message asking her if she would be around for the holiday weekend, and if so, would she be willing to do me a big favor.  She was totally willing...better put, she was totally excited!!  And my little request for a delivery of a doughnut with a candle and balloon turned into a dinner, three balloons, candy, and a full-size chocolate pudding cake with 20 candles!  And she sent us pictures too!  I felt like I was celebrating with them!

What a blessing of a world-wide church family!!  Here I have a sister in the gospel who I hardly know bending over backwards to make my daughter's birthday memorable for her!  Isn't it great to have brothers and sisters in the gospel?!

Happy 20th Birthday Jessica!!  
And Thank You Sister Julie Pryor!!  You made my daughter's day and mine too!


1 comment:

  1. That's so cool! I'm glad I got to see the pics. I hadn't seen them yet.

    ReplyDelete