It's been years since I've bottled Pears...they're a lot of work! But it's not so much work when you have good company helping you!
On Peach Days, I not only bought a half bushel of peaches, but I ended up buying a half bushel of pears too...mainly because the owner of the orchard let us taste one AND Stephanie said Jonas loves pears! Ya, I'm a softy, anything for my grandson. Besides, they're healthy food!!
Of course the pears were green when we bought them, so I've had them lying on a table downstairs covered with a blanket until they turned a nice ripe yellow. This morning I headed to Stephanie's house and we peeled and peeled and peeled...good thing I only bought a half bushel! Stephanie is very blunt and tells things as they are...she said it was boring work...ya it is...but the finished product tastes so much better than the ones you buy in the can. A lot fresher too! And for me it wasn't boring at all because I really enjoyed her company! :)
+(800x533).jpg)
We processed 23 pints (yup, I used my pressure cooker for them too), my only complaint is I still don't know how to keep the pears looking nice and white - they were beautiful white going into the jars but coming out of the canner they had turned pink. I even followed a friends instructions who bottles pears every year and her pears look nice and white. I'm clueless what I did differently. Hopefully they still taste good.
They do taste good, and Jonas likes them. He'll eat them, and that's all that matters - getting his fruits and veggies in.
ReplyDelete